Code of Conduct
Bellingham Makerspace (BMS) is committed to maintaining a creative work environment in which all individuals are treated with fairness, respect, and dignity. Our vision: We are Makers — diverse in skill, background, and experience — committed to creating a better world through community, love, and service.
This policy applies to all within the Makerspace: employees, volunteers, members, and guests alike — within our walls, on Makerspace owned and managed communication forums and online spaces, and while representing the space at outside events.
What we expect:
- Embody and support our mission through behavior and communications
- Embrace and advocate for inclusion and diversity
- Ensure safety in the space
- Respect yourself, other people, and property in the BMS space, at BMS events, and in BMS electronic communications channels, such as Slack
- Be respectful of those around you; avoid language or actions that might reasonably make others uncomfortable.
- Be respectful of the BMS hours of operation and the posted hours of BMS events.
What the Makerspace will not tolerate:
- Sleeping, smoking, vaping, or consumption of alcohol or illicit drugs in BMS spaces or within 25 feet of a BMS entryway. Alcohol consumption may be permitted for special events approved by the Board.
- Using a tool without receiving proper training from BMS. Training received outside of our space does not replace the requirement for BMS-approved training/certification on our tools and systems
- Performing maintenance on a tool without permission from the designated Tool Champion or Administrative Member
- Any form of harassment, including but not limited to that based on sex, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Behavior that will be considered harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Unwelcome physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Comments directly intended to bully, belittle, offend, or otherwise cause discomfort including telling others they are not welcome and should leave
- Individually photographing, videoing, or making sound recordings of members without their consent (this does not include Makerspace operated overhead ceiling cameras)
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Sexually graphic or otherwise inappropriate images in public spaces
- Persistent and deliberate misgendering of other people
- Threats of violence
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
- Harassment does not include such things as:
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I'm not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a ‘tone' you don't find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
If you witness infractions listed above, immediately fill out an Incident Report form and report it to staff, board, or Administrative Members, or Tool Champion present at the time in the space. Failure to comply with this policy shall result in disciplinary action, up to and including cancellation of BMS membership, dismissal from paid/volunteer positions, and/or barring from the BMS space. Should a federal, state, or local law be violated, the infraction will be reported to the authorities. See Incident Report and Reinstatement Appeal processes.
Changes to the Code of Conduct may be made from time to time, with or without notice. By continuing your membership or volunteer activities, you agree to abide by any such changes. It is your responsibility to stay up to date on the latest changes to our Code of Conduct.